From CU Sports Info.
Don Vieth, Sports Information Director
SURPRISE, Ariz. – The Cameron men’s tennis saw their season come to a halt at the hands of number-2 ranked Barry to a 5-0 score in the NCAA National Championship Quarterfinals on Thursday.
CU’s run this year was the furthest that the program has advanced in the national tournament in 20 attempts. Despite not hosting regionals for the first time in two years and a number-4 ranking this season in the regional tournament, the Aggies won their third straight title to advance to nationals.
The number-29 ranked Aggies went down 3-0 in doubles, on court-3 Angelo Lencioni and Mateo Velasco gave CU their best shot for a point but they would fall 8-5.
With play switching over to singles the Aggies would drop their first set in all four courts. Felipe Oyarzun on court-2 fell first to a 6-1, 6-2 score for Barry’s fourth point. Justin Baciu had the best showing for the Aggies in the first set but fell 6-4 and he finished second falling 6-2 in set two and allowed Barry to advance.
“I thought we played better than we did yesterday, but Barry is just at a different level than us,” said head coach James Helvey. “We got close in our three-doubles but couldn’t come through at the end and in singles we started to get things figured out by that time it was already too late.”
“Overall, this is the scrappiest and most hard working group of guys that I’ve had the opportunity to coach. I’m proud of them and they were able accomplish something that we haven’t done before here at Cameron.”
The loss will end the four year careers for Lencioni and Dean Weigelt at Cameron. Lencioni recorded over 100 wins combined in singles and doubles and Weigelt had over 60 wins at CU while helping win three regional titles and a 2013 Lone Star Conference regular season title.
Cameron’s season will end with a 17-9 overall record; Barry will advance to the semifinals to face Lander or Concordia (N.Y.)
#2 Barry 5, #29 Cameron 0
1. #4 Fabian Groetsch (BARRY-M) vs. Dennis Merdan (CU) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. #4 Nico Dreer (BARRY-M) def. Felipe Oyarzun (CU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kevin Sielmann (BARRY-M) vs. Joao Fazendeiro (CU) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
4. Dominik Haider (BARRY-M) vs. Mateo Velasco (CU) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
5. Renato Lombardi (BARRY-M) vs. Angelo Lencioni (CU) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished
6. Franco Echenique (BARRY-M) def. Justin Baciu (CU) 6-4, 6-2
1. #2 Fabian Groetsch/Ahmed Triki (BARRY-M) def. Felipe Oyarzun/Andres Velasco (CU) 8-4
2. Dominik Haider/Kevin Sielmann (BARRY-M) def. Joao Fazendeiro/Dennis Merdan (CU) 8-1
3. Franco Echenique/Renato Lombardi (BARRY-M) def. Angelo Lencioni/Mateo Velasco (CU) 8-5