Today the OSN Spotlight, presented by Blackbeard Marine, shines on Alyssa Butler!
• East Central soccer
• Hometown: Wylie, Texas
• Molecular Biology and Psychology double major expected to graduate in May 2020.
• HSAA soccer, Texas Spurs semi-pro soccer, plays soccer at ECU
• Favorite players and teams: Lionel Messi, U.S. Women’s National Team with Carli Lloyd
• Favorite sports moment – personal: “Moments that keep me looking forward to practices and games are those when the I see the women on my team working together to unselfishly give 100 percent of themselves to their teammates. It’s easy for players to get caught up in individual accolades but at the end of the day, my favorite memories involve players who brought positivity and passion to our daily sessions.”
• Favorite sports moment – overall: “My favorite sports moment is getting to play in my first college game with ECU. I am a first-generation student getting to play soccer at the collegiate level and I am still humbled by the opportunity every day.”
• What do you like most about ECU? “I appreciate the community that ECU has allowed me to be a part of. I have met some amazing people who have invested themselves in my success not only as a student-athlete, but as a person. My sister, Lauren, will be joining the ECU family in the fall and I couldn’t think of a better place for her to further her education.”
• Who do you most look up to? “My mom is the person I aspire to be most like. Being one of 13 children, I would not be where I am today without her support and unwavering dedication to our success. It takes a very big person (and a very patient one) to educate and raise all of us and I attribute my best qualities to her example.
I’ve also had multiple coaches over the years who have had considerable influence in my life. Without their support, belief in my abilities, and advice over the years, I would not be playing college soccer at ECU.”
• Goals: “On the field, I would like us to win conference and to continue playing for as long as I can.
Off the field, I intend to graduate ECU and continue my education at medical school. Ultimately, I will serve as a physician in the United States Navy.”