From ORU Sports Info.
Philip Dowden, Director of Media Relations
Score: Oral Roberts 59 – Tulsa 53
Records: Oral Roberts (2-1); Tulsa (0-3)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. – Reynolds Center
TULSA – Timely shooting and a complete team effort helped lift the Oral Roberts women’s basketball team to a second consecutive PSO Mayor’s Cup win over Tulsa, 59-53, Friday night at the Reynolds Center.
After trailing most of the first half the Golden Eagles took their first lead with 13 seconds left in the second quarter on a Kaylan Mayberry three-pointer. Mayberry’s three-pointer sparked a second half that saw ORU trail just briefly, 39-38, before another Mayberry three-pointer put the Golden Eagles ahead for good with 9:40 left in the fourth quarter.
The Golden Eagles were led by Bria Pitts’ 11 points as she has made three three-pointers in each game for ORU this season.
Mayberry finished with 10 points in the win while Faith Ihim, Jordan Doyle, Ashley Beatty and Jasauen Beard all scored nine.
Tulsa was led by Kelsee Grovey who scored a game-high 12 points and pulled down six rebounds in the loss.
Kaylan Mayberry’s three-pointer with 9:40 left in the fourth quarter started a 12-3 run for ORU as the Golden Eagles built a 50-42 lead. Tulsa would fight back within a point with 2:53 left in the game, but Jasauen Beard hit a jumper in the middle of the lane to help keep ORU on top.
Oral Roberts: Bria Pitts finished with 11 points while Faith Ihim added nine points and four steals. Jasauen Beard tallied nine points and four rebounds as Maria Martianez grabbed nine boards and added four assists.
Tulsa: Kelsee Grovey scored a game-high 12 points and pulled down six rebounds for the Golden Hurricane.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– ORU hit five three-pointers in the first half, but shot 35 percent from the field as a team. However, in the second half the Golden Eagles shot 48 percent to lead them in the win.
– ORU ended the game on a 7-2 run.
– The Golden Eagles finished with double digit steals for the third consecutive game with 11.
– Tulsa out-rebounded ORU 48-34.
– Bria Pitts has scored in double figures all three games for ORU this season and leads the team averaging 13 points per game.
– Ashley Beatty scored a career-high nine points and three steals.
– ORU won its first game at Tulsa since 2009. It is also the first back-to-back Mayor’s Cup wins for ORU since the 2008-09 seasons.
– The Golden Eagles now lead the all-time series 32-8
ORU returns to the Mabee Center Tuesday as they host Little Rock. The Trojans and Golden Eagles will tipoff at 7 p.m.