ADA – With its fifth-straight win, the East Central University volleyball team set the record for the longest winning-streak in school history. The Tigers (8-9, 4-1 GAC) earned the record-setting mark with a 3-1 (24-26, 26-20, 26-24, 25-21) victory over Texas A&M-Commerce in the Kerr Activities Center.
The Tigers not only set the longest winning-streak in school history, but also a top-10 record for digs in a four-set match:
No. 7 – 83
Also No. 4 in a 4-set match at the Kerr Activities Center
- ECU also recorded the most blocks in a match for the season at 10 (3-14)
- 3 block solos ties the most in a set this season
- RSr. Sydney Dungen and RJr. Thalianette Garcia each earned a double-double in the match
- Dungen – No. 5 ECU Career Digs List – 21
- 28 assists, 1 service ace, 16 digs
- Also moved up to No. 2 on ECU Career Service Ace List – 96
- No. 1 – Hayley Gerken (2012-15) – 103
- Garcia – No. 8 ECU Career Digs List – 15
- 15 kills, 1 assist, 1 block solo, 1 block assist, 13 digs
- Sr. Alejandra Delgado added a double-digit dig total in the match
- 28 digs, 1 kill, 2 assists, 1 service ace
- Jr. Nyah Walker also recorded more than 10 kills
- 15 kills, .216 (15k-7e-37ta) hitting pct., 4 block assists, 6 digs
- RSo. Kemyra Landry tallied a team high 2 block solos
- 3 kills, 1 service ace, 2 block solos, 2 block assists
- Set 1: 24-26
- 6 Tie Scores / 3 Lead Changes
- Both teams took early advantages to see the set tied again
- The Lions (4-7, 3-3 LSC) took a 22-18 lead late in the set and looked like they would push through for the win
- TAMUC led 24-21 before a 3-0 run by ECU forced extra points
- Set 2: 25-20
- The Tigers jumped out to an early 5-0 advantage
- ECU kept the lead through the middle of the set
- The Lions used a 3-0 run to tie the set at 17
- The Tigers quickly regained the momentum, with a 3-0 run of their own to lead for good
- ECU finished the set on a 3-0 run
- Set 3: 26-24
- 13 Tie Scores / 5 Lead Changes
- The set was again a back-and-forth battle
- The Tigers gained an early 11-6 lead, but saw TAMUC tie the set at 11
- The teams traded runs and points until at 20-20 tie
- The Lions used a 4-1 run, to get within set point
- ECU did not give up and went on a 5-0 run to win the set in extra points
- Set 4: 25-21
- The teams traded serves through the first 14 points (7-7)
- The Tigers then used a 5-1 run to gain the needed advantage
- ECU held on to the lead the rest of the set
- Led by as many as five and never let the Lions get closer than two
The Tigers will hit the road for their first trip to Arkansas in more than a year.
Friday, Oct. 8 at Southern Arkansas – 6 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 9 at Arkansas-Monticello – 1 p.m.
ECU will then return home for a three-match home stand
- Tuesday, Oct. 12 vs. Langston – 6 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 15 vs. Henderson State – 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 16 vs. Oauchita Baptist – 3 p.m.