From ORU Sports Info.
Tim McCaughan, Media Relations Assistant
ELMHURST, Ill. – The Oral Roberts women’s soccer team has been picked to finish sixth in the in the annual Summit League Preseason Coaches’ Poll, the league announced Thursday.
Denver has been selected to win the league after receiving all six first-place votes. It marks the third consecutive season the Pioneers have been voted as preseason favorite. South Dakota State, which defeated Denver in The Summit League championship match in penalties, was picked second in the poll.
North Dakota State rounds out the top three in the league, followed by IUPUI and Omaha. South Dakota, Western Illinois and Fort Wayne were picked to finish seventh, eighth and ninth, respectively.
Among the key returners for the the Golden Eagles is leading goal-scorer from last season, Ashley Martin. The senior netted three balls last season, including two against IUPUI.
A defender for ORU, Kaily Cox netted one goal last season, delivering the game-winning goal at SMU, lifting the Golden Eagles to their first win against SMU in program history. She also helped the Golden Eagles to a pair of shutouts in 2014, including a scoreless draw at Baylor.
#SummitWSOC Preseason Notes
• The Summit League retains all five annual individual award winners from 2014 (Offensive, Defensive, Goalkeeper, Freshman and Coach of the Year).
• Denver returns seven starters from last season, including three all-league selections.
• South Dakota State brings back all 11 starters, five of which were 2014 all-league honorees, headlined by Offensive Player of the Year Diana Potterveld.
• In 2014, Potterveld equaled the league’s single-season assists record (12) and finished tied for the league lead in points (24).
• North Dakota State returns four all-leaguers and eight starters from a season ago, highlighted by Goalkeeper of the Year Sierra Bonham (0.94 GAA, .827 save percentage).
• IUPUI brings back Freshman of the Year Krissy Kirkhoff along with her nine goals (four GW) for 2015.
• Omaha retains Summit League Defensive Player of the Year senior Hannah Wampler to go with 2014 leading goal-scorer junior Chelsi Rohloff.
#SummitWSOC Schedule Notes
• The 2015 season begins Aug. 21 with the league schedule commencing Oct. 2.
• Denver will host SDSU on Oct. 11 in a rematch of last season’s championship match.
• The top four regular-season finishers will qualify for The Summit League Women’s Soccer Championship, held in Brookings, S.D., Nov. 5-7.
2015 Summit League Women’s Soccer Preseason Coaches’ Poll
Rank School Points (1st) 2014 Record (SL)
1. Denver 62 (6) 10-8-2 (5-3-0, 15 pts.)
2. South Dakota State 59 (3) 10-8-2 (5-2-1, 16 pts.)
3. North Dakota State 44 8-8-2 (4-2-2, 14 pts.)
4. IUPUI 40 7-10-3 (5-3-0, 15 pts.)
5. Omaha 34 5-12-2 (3-3-2, 11 pts.)
6. Oral Roberts 32 4-10-3 (3-5-0, 9 pts.)
7. South Dakota 23 9-8-2 (2-4-2, 8 pts.)
8. Western Illinois 20 5-12-1 (4-3-1, 13 pts.)
9. Fort Wayne 10 2-14-2 (0-6-2, 2 pts.)